Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Life and Knitting

Creating is underrated. Generally, I consider myself a creative person, but I have found a unique joy in learning to knit, and in sharing it with others. I have known for a long time that one of my most prominent "love languages" is giving gifts. So, having a hobby that I can share with others is awesome. 

Even more than that, though, is what I am learning about creating. I believe that an attribute of God that often gets overlooked is "creator." God is creative, and I am finding myself experiencing that truth as I, created in the image of God, create. And, in sharing my "creation" with others, I am learning about a new kind of connection with my creator who shares creation with us every day. My mother-in-law, who makes baskets and teaches basketry for a living, talks about this, and while I have always thought that was cool, it hasn't been until recently that I have really "gotten" it.

Through this hobby, I am able to rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. Brian's aunt (who gave me my first knitting tutorial) sent me some gloves that she made me after I experienced a miscarriage several years back. I will never forget that, and every time I wear the gloves I remember that she was there for me--gently loving me and somehow walking the journey with me through her gift. I have made 4 baby hats in the last couple of weeks (and have 2 more in process!), to give to friends who are soon expecting. It is a joyous gift! But, one is for a dear friend who is walking a heart-breaking journey, waiting and knowing that the baby growing inside her will not be coming home with her.  



So, I knit, and I pray for her, and I cry, and I connect to the God who not only creates but can mend brokenness.




No comments: